26th GMS WGE Annual Meeting (WGE AM26)
26-28, October 2022
The 26th GMS Working Group on Environment Annual Meeting, hosted by ADB and co-hosted by the Working Group on Environment (WGE) of Thailand, was held on 26-28 October 2022 in a hybrid format: in person in Bangkok, Thailand and online via Zoom.
Supporting the outcomes of the UN Biodiversity Conference (COP15), held in 2021 in Kunming PRC, and the UN Climate Change Conference (COP26) held in 2021 in Glasgow, the WGE AM-26 focused on CCESP Theme 1: Building Climate and Disaster Resilience and Theme 3: Promoting Climate Smart Landscapes.
The discussion centered around key challenges and possible solutions for the region on their pathway to the UNFCCC COP27 in Sharm el-Sheikh and UN Biodiversity Conference (COP 15) in Montreal. Day 1 focused on Theme 1, including climate risks, challenges and possible solutions to tackle the root causes of climate vulnerability. Day 2 focused on Theme 3, focusing on how climate change and biodiversity loss can be addressed, and how local livelihoods can improve as a result of these measures. Day 3 included a short field visit.
WGE AM26 Objectives
- To share national priorities and strategies of the GMS countries to build climate resilience and strengthen biodiversity conservation
- To examine challenges and opportunities in the light of the UN Biodiversity Conference (COP15) and the UN Climate Change Conference (COP26) for the GMS
- To explore solutions to build climate and disaster resilience and strengthen biodiversity conservation in the GMS on their pathway to the upcoming COP27 and COP15 in 2022
- To discuss national and subregional climate resilience and post-2020 biodiversity conservation frameworks and actions in the GMS in the context of COPs, COVID-19, and the GMS RIF
- To agree upon priority actions for regional cooperation under the CCESP to improve climate and disaster resilience, and biodiversity conservation in the GMS
Target participants of the 26th GMS WGE Annual meeting included GMS WGE representatives, representatives from GMS agencies for climate change adaptation, biodiversity, and conservation, academic institutions, relevant private sector representatives, development partners, ADB staff and the CCESP TA consultant team.
About the GMS Climate Change and Environmental Sustainability Program (CCESP)
The technical assistance (TA) GMS Climate Change and Environmental Sustainability Program (CCESP), was approved by ADB to support the implementation of the Strategic Framework and Action Plan. This is the third and current phase of the Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS) Core Environment Program (CEP). The CCESP Program, to be implemented in 2020-2025, targets three outputs, each covering two themes:
- Climate and disaster resilience enhanced (Theme 1), and low carbon transitions facilitated (Theme 2)
- Climate-smart landscapes promoted (Theme 3), and environmental quality enhanced (Theme 4)
- Green technologies (Theme 5) and financing instruments demonstrated (Theme 6)
The above six themes were prioritized by the GMS WGEs during the 24th GMS WGE Annual Meeting in 2019. The TA aims to help develop climate-friendly projects in the GMS regional investment framework (RIF) through enhancing capacities and enabling policies, demonstrating innovative activities, and catalyzing private sector opportunities.
Last Updated: 26 October 2022